Focus on Nature brings trained volunteers and photographers into classrooms to engage students in creative workshops, hands-on nature and photography activities, plus photo editing and feedback sessions.
Designed to align with the Ontario Arts Curriculum, our workshops have been well received in classes from grades 3 to 11, including high school specialty arts programs. Every workshop is led by an experienced Lead Instructor and a team of Program Assistants who bring all the equipment and materials required to make your Focus on Nature workshop an incredible learning experience. Thanks to government, business, and community support, we can offer our workshops to classes of up to 30 students for a fee of only $360.
The Focus on Nature workshop is a full-day experience, with the focus on teaching basic visual design skills and nature appreciation in a dynamic, interactive format. We give students the opportunity to practice what they have learned in nearby parks and school grounds, plus edit and share their best shots with the rest of the class in a slideshow at the end of the day. We leave the teacher with all their students’ ‘Top Shots’ and also provide a list of extension activities that have worked well with other classes.
The following activities are part our school workshop program:
• A half-hour interactive talk/slideshow covering the Elements of Design, composition ideas, and the basics of using a digital camera;
• A morning photo walk to a nearby park or natural area, including a hunt for the 7 elements of design in nature;
• Nature awareness and sensory activities, such as building nature sculptures and a photo scavenger hunt;
• Photo editing and selecting their top shots;
• Individual slideshows of each students’ Top Shots shared with the class, including a discussion of their favourite image
– Children will have breaks integrated into the program throughout the day, but time will not permit students to take regular recess breaks.
– Our team is professionally trained in program delivery and have had a Police Vulnerable Sector Records Check completed.
Please email Operations Manager Natalie Verschueren <natalie(at)focusonnature.ca> with any further questions or inquiries.